Recent GLERL Publications:
(See also All GLERL Publications)
Note: Although not all publications are available via our website, electronic copies may be available. Contact the publications office at email@example.com.
- Marino, J.A., H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and S.D. Peacor. Long‐term survey data reveal large predator and temperature effects on population growth of multiple zooplankton species. Limnology and Oceanography (DOI:10.1002/lno.11340) (2020). (IN PRESS)
- Bunnell, D.B., S.A. POTHOVEN, P.M. Armenio, L. Eaton, D.M. Warner, A.K. ELGIN, L.E. Burlakova, and A.Y. Karayayev. Spatiotemporal variability in energetic condition of alewife and round goby in Lake Michigan. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 76(11):1982-1992 (DOI:10.1139/cjfas-2018-0391) (2019).
- Dai, Q., D.B. Bunnell, J.S. Diana, S.A. POTHOVEN, L. Eaton, T.P. O’Brien, and R.T. Kraus. Spatial patterns of rainbow smelt energetic condition in Lakes Huron and Erie in 2017: Evidence for Lake Huron resource limitation. Journal of Great Lakes Research 45(4):830+839 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.06.001) (2019).
- Marino, J.A., S.D. Peacor, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, J.R. Bence, J. Jiao, and E.L. Ionides. Evaluating consumptive and nonconsumptive predator effects on prey density using field times series data. Ecology 100(3)(DOI:10.1002/ecy.2583) (2019). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2019/20190015.pdf
- POTHOVEN, S.A. The influence of ontogeny and prey abundance on feeding ecology of age‐0 Lake Whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis) in southeastern Lake Michigan. Ecology of Freshwater Fish (DOI:10.1111/eff.12498) (2019). (IN PRESS)
- POTHOVEN, S.A., and H.A. VANDERPLOEG. Variable demographics and consumption requirements of Bythotrephes longimanus (Crustacea, Cercopagididae) along a nearshore to offshore gradient in Lake Michigan. Hydrobiologia 830(1):63-75 (DOI:10.1007/s10750-018-3850-2) (2019).
- POTHOVEN, S.A., and A.K. ELGIN. Dreissenid veliger dynamics along a nearshore to offshore transect in Lake Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research 45(2):300-306 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.01.001) (2019).
- Madenjian, C.P., T.A. Hayden, T.B. Peat, C.S. Vandergoot, D.G. Fielder, A.M. Gorman, S.A. POTHOVEN, J.M. Dettmers, S.J. Cooke, Y. Zhao, and C. Krueger. Temperature regimes, growth, and food consumption for female and male adult walleye in Lake Huron and Lake Erie: a bioenergetics analysis. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 75(10):1573-1586 (DOI:10.1139/cjfas-2017-0280) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180022.pdf
- POTHOVEN, S.A., and H.A. VANDERPLOEG. Factors leading to coexistence of Bosmina longirostris and Daphnia galeata mendotae in offshore Lake Michigan. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 192(1):79-89 (DOI:10.1127/fal/2018/1161) (2018).
- Bunnell, D.B., e.a. including, E.S. RUTHERFORD, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and M.D. ROWE. Are Changes in Lower Trophic Levels Limiting Prey-Fish Biomass and Production in Lake Michigan? Great Lakes Fishery Commission, (2018). http://www.glfc.org/pubs/misc/2018-01.pdf
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Seasonal feeding ecology of co-existing native and invasive benthic fish along a nearshore to offshore gradient in Lake Michigan. Environmental Biology of Fishes 101(7):1161-1174 (DOI:10.1007/s10641-018-0766-7) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180006.pdf
- Carrick, H.J., E. Cafferty, A. Ilacqua, S.A. POTHOVEN, and G.L. Fahnenstiel. Seasonal Abundance, Biomass and Morphological Diversity of Picoplankton in Lake Superior: Importance of Water Column Mixing. International Journal of Hydrology 1(6)(DOI:10.15406/ijh.2017.01.00034) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170037.pdf
- Goto, D., J.J. Roberts, S.A. POTHOVEN, S.A. Ludsin, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.B. Brandt, and T.O. Höök. Size-mediated control of perch–midge coupling in Lake Erie transient dead zones. Environmental Biology of Fishes (DOI:10.1007/s10641-017-0667-1) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170025.pdf
- POTHOVEN, S.A., C.P. Madenjian, and T.O. Hook. Feeding ecology of the walleye (Percidae, Sander vitreus), a resurgent piscivore in Lake Huron (Laurentian Great Lakes) after shifts in the prey community. Ecology of Freshwater Fish (DOI:10.1111/eff.12315) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2016/20160045.pdf
- ROWE, M.D., E.J. ANDERSON, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, J. WANG, and F. Yousef. Influence of invasive quagga mussels, phosphorus loads, and climate on spatial and temporal patterns of productivity in Lake Michigan: A biophysical modeling study. Limnology and Oceanography 62(6):2626-2649 (DOI:10.1002/lno.10595) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170018.pdf
- Dias, J.P., (and 44 others), and S.A. POTHOVEN. Establishment of a taxonomic and molecular reference collection to support the identification of species regulated by the Western Australian Prevention List for Introduced Marine Pests. Management of Biological Invasions 8(2):215-225 (DOI:10.3391/mbi.2017.8.2.09) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170030.pdf
- Foley, C.J., S.R. Andree, S.A. POTHOVEN, T.F. NALEPA, and T.O. Hook. Quantifying the predatory effect of round goby on Saginaw Bay dreissenids. Journal of Great Lakes Research 43(1):121-131 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2016.10.018) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170002.pdf
- POTHOVEN, S.A., and H.A. VANDERPLOEG. Changes in Mysis diluviana abundance and life history patterns following a shift toward oligotrophy in Lake Michigan. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 190(3):199-212 (DOI:10.1127/fal/2017/1039) (2017).
- Stein, S.R., C.R. Roswell, S.A. POTHOVEN, and T.O. Hook. Diets and growth of age-0 walleye in a recently recovered population. Journal of Great Lakes Research 43(2):100-107 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2017.03.019) (2017).
* denotes speaker
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Invasive Species and Changes in the Lake Michigan Food Web; Steven Pothoven. Freshwater Summit, Traverse City, MI, Oct 25, 2019 (2019).
- POTHOVEN, S.A. NOAA lower food web research in Lake Michigan. Inland Seas lecture for education volunteers, Suttons Bay, Mich., Dec. 18, 2019 (2019).
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Recent Trends for Lake Michigan Lower Trophic Levels. Lake Michigan Committee Annual Meeting, Ypsilanti, Mich, March 25, 3019. Great Lakes Fishery Commission (2019).
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Invasive Species. Community Read: Life and Death of the Great Lakes, Saugatuck-Douglas Library, November 13, 2018 (2018).
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Lake Michigan Long Term Research Programs. Lake Michigan CSMI Worskhop, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 16, 2018 (2018).
- Bunnell, D.B., S.A. POTHOVEN, P.M. Armenio, L. Eaton, and D. Warner. Spatial variability in energetic condition of Lake Michigan preyfishes IAGLR 2018, 61st Conference on Great Lakes Research, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 18-22 (2018).
- Jiao, J., S.D. Peacor, J.A. Marino, J. Bence, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and E.L. Ionides. Temperature influences the consumptive and non-consumptive effects of predators on zooplankton production in the Great Lakes. Ecological Society of America, New Orleans, La., August 5-10, 2018 (2018).
- Marino, J.A., S.D. Peacor, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and E.L. Ionides. Differential effects of Bythotrephes longimanus on growth rates of Lake Michigan zooplankton species. Society for Freshwater Science, Detroit, Mich., May 21-24, 2018 (2018).
- POTHOVEN, S.A. Lower Trophic Levels. Great Lakes Fish Commission - Lake Whitefish Workshop, Lansing, Mich., February 27, 2018 (2018).
- RUTHERFORD, E.S., H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, M.D. ROWE, Y.-C. Kao, and J.F. Bratton. Declining productivity in Great Lakes food webs: the relative influence of nutrient loads, invasive species, and climate change. NOAA OAR Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, Princeton, N.J., May 10, 2018 (2018).
- WELLS, D., E.S. RUTHERFORD, J.F. CAVALETTO, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, P. GLYSHAW, D.M. MASON, S.A. POTHOVEN, A. Kurthen, S. Lenart, and C. Olds. Spatio-temporal variation in Coregonid larvae growth and density in Thunder Bay Lake Huron in 2017 IAGLR 2018, 61st Conference on Great Lakes Research, Toronto, ON, Canada, June 18-22 (2018).
- RUTHERFORD, E.S., R.D.M. NASH, A.J. Geffen, D.W. WELLS, D.E. Eppehimer, P.W. GLYSHAW, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, J.F. CAVALETTO, S.A. POTHOVEN, and D.M. MASON. Disentangling Dreissenid mussel effects on larval fish distribution, density, diet, growth, and potential recruitment in SE Lake Michigan. Great Lakes Science Seminar series, Buffalo State College, Buffalo, New York, Nov. 13, 2017 (2017).
- VANDERPLOEG, H.A., E.S. RUTHERFORD, J.F. CAVALETTO, H. Carrick, V.J. Denef, G.A. LANG, D.M. MASON, S.A. POTHOVEN, D. WELLS, and P. GLYSHAW. Fine-Scale Organization of the Pelagic Food Web in Southern Lake Michigan: Does it Matter? State of Lake Michigan Meeting,, Green Bay, Wisconsin, November 7-10 (2017).