Ashley Baldridge Elgin
Recent GLERL Publications:
(See also All GLERL Publications,
Note: Although not all publications are available via our website, electronic copies may be available. Contact the publications office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marino, J.A., S.D. Peacor, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, J.R. Bence, J. Jiao, and E.L. Ionides. Evaluating consumptive and nonconsumptive predator effects on prey density using field times series data. Ecology 100(3)(DOI:10.1002/ecy.2583) (2019). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2019/20190015.pdf
- Merzel, R.L., L. Purser, T.L. Soucy, M. Olszewski, I. Colon-Bernal, M.B. Duhaime, A.K. ELGIN, and M.M. Banaszak Holl. Uptake and Retention of Nanoplastics in Quagga Mussels. Global Challenges (DOI:10.1002/gch2.201800104) (2019). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2019/20190026.pdf (IN PRESS)
- POTHOVEN, S.A., and A.K. ELGIN. Dreissenid veliger dynamics along a nearshore to offshore transect in Lake Michigan. Journal of Great Lakes Research 45(2):300-306 (DOI:10.1016/j.jglr.2019.01.001) (2019).
- Bunnell, D.B., e.a. including, E.S. RUTHERFORD, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and M.D. ROWE. Are Changes in Lower Trophic Levels Limiting Prey-Fish Biomass and Production in Lake Michigan? Great Lakes Fishery Commission, (2018). http://www.glfc.org/pubs/misc/2018-01.pdf
- Nalepa, T.F., C.M. Riseng, A.K. ELGIN, and G.A. LANG. Abundance and Distribution of Benthic Macroinvertebrates in the Lake Huron System: Saginaw Bay, 2006-2009, and Lake Huron, including Georgian Bay and North Channel, 2007 and 2012. NOAA Technical Memorandum GLERL-172. NOAA, Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory, Ann Arbor, MI, 54 pp. (DOI:10.25923/aqe2-ma69) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/tech_reports/glerl-172/tm-172.pdf
- Spear, M.J., A.K. ELGIN, and E.K. Grey. Current and Projected Distribution of the Red-Eared Slider Turtle, Trachemys scripta elegans, in the Great Lakes Basin. The American Midland Naturalist 179(2):191-221 (DOI:10.1674/0003-0031-179.2.191) (2018). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2018/20180009.pdf
- ROWE, M.D., E.J. ANDERSON, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, J. WANG, and F. Yousef. Influence of invasive quagga mussels, phosphorus loads, and climate on spatial and temporal patterns of productivity in Lake Michigan: A biophysical modeling study. Limnology and Oceanography 62(6):2626-2649 (DOI:10.1002/lno.10595) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170018.pdf
- Reisinger, L.S., A.K. ELGIN, K.M. Towle, D.J. Chan, and D.M. Lodge. The influence of evolution and plasticity on the behavior of an invasive crayfish. Biological Invasions 19(3):815-830 (DOI:10.1007/s10530-016-1346-4) (2017). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2017/20170009.pdf
- Hundey, E.J., J.H. Olker, C. Carreira, R.M. Daigle, A.K. ELGIN, M. Finiguerra, N.J. Gownaris, N. Hayes, L. Heffner, N.R. Razavi, P.D. Shirey, B.B. Tolar, and E.M. Wood-Charlson. A shifting tide: Recommendations for incorporating science communication into graduate training. Limnology and Oceanography: Bulletin 25(4):109-116 (DOI:10.1002/lob.10151) (2016). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2016/20160048.pdf
- Daigle, R.M., C.J. Monaco, and A.K. BALDRIDGE. An adaptable toolkit to assess commercial fishery costs and benefits related to marine protected area network design [version 1; referees: 1 approved, 1 approved with reservations]. F1000Research 4(1234)(DOI:10.12688/f1000research.7312.1)) (2015). https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/2015/20150058.pdf
* denotes speaker
- ELGIN, A.K. NOAA’s Role in the Community: Science Serving Society. AMBUCS Meeting, Muskegon, Mich., February 12, 2019 (2019).
- STURTEVANT, R.A., F. MARTINEZ, E. LOWER, E.S. RUTHERFORD, D.M. MASON, and A.K. ELGIN. Assessing the Impacts of Aquatic Invasive Species in the Great Lakes Basin Upper Midwest Invasive Species Conference Mayo Civic Center - Rochester, MN, October 16, 2018. UMISC and North American Invasive Species Management Assoc. (2018).
- ELGIN, A.K., and P. GLYSHAW. Depth and season-specific trends in invasive quagga mussel growth and implications for ecological impacts. Society for Freshwater Sciences 2018 meeting, Detroit, Mich., May 21-24, 2019 (2018).
- Hinchey-Malloy, E., and A.K. ELGIN. Diporeia and dreissenid mussel CSMI surveys. Great Lakes Executive Committee Meeting, Chicago, Ill., June 7, 2018 (2018).
- Jiao, J., S.D. Peacor, J.A. Marino, J. Bence, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and E.L. Ionides. Temperature influences the consumptive and non-consumptive effects of predators on zooplankton production in the Great Lakes. Ecological Society of America, New Orleans, La., August 5-10, 2018 (2018).
- Karatayev, A., L. Burlakova, K. Mehler, V.A. Karatayev, A.K. ELGIN, and T.F. NALEPA. Population dynamics of Dreissena polymorpha and D. rostriformis bugensis in the Laurentian Great Lakes. European Large Lakes Symposium-IAGLR joint meeting, Evian, France, Sept. 23-28, 2018 (2018).
- Marino, J.A., S.D. Peacor, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and E.L. Ionides. Differential effects of Bythotrephes longimanus on growth rates of Lake Michigan zooplankton species. Society for Freshwater Science, Detroit, Mich., May 21-24, 2018 (2018).
- ELGIN, A.K. Invasive species and climate in the Great Lakes. SE Michigan Chapter of the American Meteorological Society, Muskegon, MI, September 19, 2017 (2017).
- ELGIN, A.K., L.E. Burlakova, A.Y. Karatayev, K. Mehler, and T.F. NALEPA. Quagga Mussel Body Condition and Size Distribution Inform Recent Lake Michigan Population Trends. IAGLR 2017, 60th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Detroit, MI, May 15-19, 2017 (2017).
- KARATAYEV, A.Y., L.E. Burlakova, K. Mehler, V.A. Karatayev, T.F. NALEPA, A.K. ELGIN, and E.K. Hinchey. Underwater Video is an Effective Tool to Reveal Dreissena Spatial Distribution and Biomass. ASLO, Honolulu, HI, February 26-March 3 (2017).
- MABREY, K., P. GLYSHAW, and A.K. ELGIN. Using the Fluoromarker Calcein to Assess Growth Rates of Quagga Mussels in situ (poster). IAGLR 2017, 60th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Detroit, MI, May 15-19, 2017 (2017).
- Marino, J.A., S.D. Peacor, D.B. Bunnell, H.A. VANDERPLOEG, S.A. POTHOVEN, A.K. ELGIN, and E.L. Ionides. Fitting models to field time series data to quantify Bythotrephes effects in Lake Michigan. IAGLR 2017, 60th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Detroit, MI, May 15-19, 2017 (2017).
- STURTEVANT, R.A., F. MARTINEZ, E.S. RUTHERFORD, A.K. ELGIN, J.P. SMITH, and P. ALSIP. Update on the Great Lakes Aquatic Nonindigenous Species Information System (GLANSIS). IAGLR 2017, 60th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Detroit, MI, May 15-19, 2017 (2017).
- VANDERPLOEG, H.A., O. SARNELLE, V.J. DENEF, H. CARRICK, A.K. ELGIN, M.D. ROWE, E.S. RUTHERFORD, and S.A. POTHOVEN. Food-web impacts of Dreissena are Context-dependent: Mapping out a New Research Agenda. IAGLR 2017, 60th Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, Detroit, MI, May 15-19, 2017 (2017).